Featured image for post: Tips For Keeping Your Pet Safe During The Holidays

Tips For Keeping Your Pet Safe During The Holidays

The holidays bring so much excitement to our lives, and sometimes we can lose focus during that excitement. If you think the lights, smells, and sounds of the holidays cause an overload for you, think about your pet! Increased sense of smell and hearing make the festivities of the holidays a somewhat stressful time for your pet, and we want to help. The last thing we want to happen to your family is a holiday pet emergency, so we have some tips on things to watch out for. It’s also good to know that both UrgentVet locations in Westchase, FL, Belmont, NC, and Fort Mill, SC are open 12:00 – 8:00 pm on all holidays!

  • Fire/burn hazards
    • A curious pet could knock over a burning candle, causing a fire, or could stick her nose near one and burn herself.
    • Those tempting wires might look like a tasty or interesting treat to your pet, but they could deliver a potentially deadly electric shock when chewed.
    • Prevent your pet from chewing a toy with a battery in it—punctured batteries can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.
  • Choking hazards
    • Those shiny ornaments might look appetizing to your pet, but the broken pieces can damage her digestive tract.
    • Cats love tinsel, but tinsel does not love cats. Swallowing tinsel and other stringy items, like yarn and ribbon, can lead to a bowel obstruction, vomiting, dehydration, and even death.
    • Give your pup a new ball that’s too big for him to swallow. Regular-size tennis balls can get lodged in the throat and block the airway.
  • Toxic substances
    • If holly or mistletoe are ingested, your pet could suffer gastrointestinal upset. Mistletoe can also cause cardiovascular problems.
    • Many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats.
    • Christmas tree water could contain fertilizers and bacteria that can cause nausea, upset stomach, or diarrhea if ingested.
    • Chocolate, artificial sweeteners (like xylitol), fatty or spicy foods, alcohol, grapes, and other human foods can, at best, cause an upset stomach, and, at worst, be fatal, if pets consume them. Keep the human food on the human table, and give your pets some special animal-friendly holiday treats instead.
    • Human medications should be secured so pets can’t unknowingly get into them.
  • Stress
    • Give your pets a quiet, calm space away from the craziness and noise of holiday gatherings.
    • Use calming pheromone products, like Adaptil (for dogs) and Feliway (for cats) to mitigate anxiety. These products are available as plug-in diffusers, collars, or sprays.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately!