You want to protect your pet from anything that could hurt them. March is Poison Prevention Month and we want to help you. Here are a few common household items that could prove to be fatal for your pet:
- Over-the-Counter Drugs. Have a headache? Pop a Tylenol. However, if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication you could be facing a serious pet health emergency. There are many human medicines that could harm your pet. These medicines include aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. If you have any questions about these, be sure to ask us at your next appointment.
- Strings. We don’t like things “with strings attached”, but your pet will dislike it even more if those strings are swallowed. Stringy items including yarn, rubber bands, and dental floss. Be careful of anything that can be easily swallowed by your pet, causing intestinal blockages or even strangulation, both of which can be fatal.
- Repellents. Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest. However, even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us which flea and tick products are the absolute best for your pets.
- Cooking spray. We think of it as innocent, but if you have a pet bird, pay attention! The fumes from non-stick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens can be dangerous (or even deadly) to your pet bird. While they might keep things cleaner for you, they can be deadly to your feathered friend.
If you suspect your pet has gotten into something they shouldn’t have, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. All of us at Urgent Vet Pet Clinic wish you and your furry (or feathery friend) a safe March!