Proudly serving Short Pump, Virginia.
UrgentVet is located near the intersection of State Road 250 and Interstate 64. Look for us in the Short Pump Shoppes. We’re behind Truist Bank and next to Rusty Taco.
WHEN WE OPEN
OUR HOURS WILL BE:
12PM–8PM All Holidays
We understand what urgent means.Our UrgentVet mission is simple: We want to be here for your pet when your primary care vet can’t. Our goal is to provide quick, convenient, affordable care 365 days a year. Think of us as urgent care for pets in Short Pump, Virginia. We’ll be there when you need us most.
Welcome to UrgentVet – Short Pump
UrgentVet is here to serve pets in Henrico – along with those in the suburbs of Richmond, including Short Pump, Wellesly, Crown Grant, Greenbrooke, West Broad Village and points beyond
- Dog & cat specific exam rooms: Yes
- Large & small dog exam rooms: Yes
- Private comfort room: Yes
- Online check in: Yes
- Walk-ins accepted: Yes
- Percentage of pets discharged back to their home: 90%
- Open evenings: Yes
- Open weekends: Yes
- Open holidays: Yes
- Open overnight: No
- Preventative/general care: No
- Urgent care: Yes
- Diagnostics: Digital X-Ray machine, ultrasound, in-house lab
- Record keeping: Cloud-based medical record keeping software
- Pet health records & case information provided to regular vet: Yes
- Fear Free Casco Enclosures: Yes
- Open Date: June 2023
Read our press release here.
At Your Service
Barbara Kocis is a 1996 graduate of Northern Virginia Community College, Veterinary Technology Program. She has a wealth of veterinary experience including emergency medicine, general practice, specialty (surgical) and urgent care.
Barbara is the Practice Manager of UrgentVet Short Pump location (just west of Richmond, VA). Barbara excels at teaching and looks forward to sharing her knowledge and passing it down to her team. She sees developing her staff as a win-win because the best part of it all is that while she is teaching others she is also learning new things along the way.
Barbara has 4 children who are now adults with children of their own (12 altogether), so family get togethers are quite fun and active. When she isn’t at UrgentVet – Short Pump, Barbara enjoys spending time outdoors – including the beach, mountains, rivers, and everything else Virginia has to offer. If it’s outside, Barbara loves it!
She has two male cats, Cujo and Julie (Julius Cesear). When Barbara is not exploring the outdoors, she loves the freedom she feels when riding her Harley Davidson motorcycle. She is grateful for the roads she has travelled, and always try implementing the lessons she learned along the way.
UrgentVet treats cats & dogs - providing care for non-life threatening conditions that happen after your regular vet is closed. Here are some examples of the types of illnesses and injuries we treat.
- Coughing, Sneezing
- Excessive Drinking
- Eye Discharge & Squinting
- Not Eating or Not Drinking
- Poison/Toxin Ingestion
- Skin Allergies – Itching, Rashes, Hot Spots
- Upper Respiratory Infections
- Urinary Tract Problems – Frequency, Straining or Blood
- Back Pain
- Cuts & Scrapes
- Fracture Assessment
- Mild Lameness
- Minor Wounds & Lacerations
- Pain Management
- Post-Op Incisions
- Toenail Injuries
- Trouble Walking
Just Not Feeling Well
- Anal Glands – Scooting, Licking
- Anxiety & Motion Sickness
- Bad Breath
- Bites & Stings
- Ear Infections – Head Shaking, Ear Discharge
- End of Life Care-Euthanasia
- Hiding or Whining
- Hives & Facial Swelling
- Lumps & Bumps
- Vaccine Reactions
We Don’t Treat
Proceed immediately to the nearest veterinary Emergency Hospital, not UrgentVet.
- Hit By Car
- Overnight Hospitalization
- Kidney Failure